10 bits of advice from John Lionato
Alumni Event Recaps | Sep 15, 2010 | admin
John Lionato, senior vice president of customer care at Rackspace Hosting, a leading service provider for the burgeoning web industry, came to Fordham to offer his thoughts on careers and becoming a leader. He had taken the time to select and interview eight business leaders whom he admires, and distilled what he learned into case studies that he presented to the students. He also offered his top 10 pieces of advice for aspiring business professionals:
- Find value.
- Allocate time and resources to goals.
- Have a plan!
- Keep your expectations in check.
- Live a rich life (that is, HAVE FUN!)
- Cultivate mentors and your network.
- Company selection is key. You will fit in at some places, and not in others.
- Gain cross-functional expertise.
- Take risks.
- Pay it back! Help others, after others have helped you. (Very Jesuit, right?)