Giving “speed dating” a professional-networking spin
Alumni Event Recaps | Nov 15, 2010 | admin
The format is familiar: Sit across from someone for a few minutes, get to know him or her as best as you can, and then a bell rings to move you on to the next person. Students in Gabelli’s Integrated Learning Community experienced this recently, but not in relation to anything romantic — rather, the goal was to hone networking skills.
Valued alumnus John McCombe, the co-president and director of sales and marketing for Richard Bernstein Advisors, organized this networking event for the ILC students as part of the alumni leadership lecture series that he oversees. The pace was fast, the information was plentiful, and the participants were both helpful and inspiring.
In each speed-dating-style mini-meeting, a student sat with an industry professional to discuss interests, career paths, and industries. The result? Broad exposure to a range of ideas, words of wisdom, and career guidance from:
- Philip Camporeale Jr., fixed income portfolio manager, JPMorganChase
- John McCombe, co-president/director of sales and marketing, Richard Bernstein Advisors
- Kevin Meenan, managing partner, Orca Asset Management
- William J. O’Hagan, tax partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Michael Priest, chief financial officer, Miura Global Management
- Joseph D. Skrzypczak, president and CEO, OCE North America Inc.
- James Viceconte, managing principal, Global Securities Advisors
- Manuel Villar, head of high-grade trading, director, RBC Capital Markets Corporation