The session was split into two parts:
- Concrete steps to personal branding, networking and landing jobs
- How to teach yourself to write code, led by Juvoni Beckford (GSB ’13), a web developer at AOL
Here are three lessons from the first part:
- To get what you want out of life, you need to know what it is that you want. Once you know, the only way to get it faster is to try NOW. Don’t put it off.
- Don’t waste your time on anything that doesn’t put you one step closer to where you plan to be in five years. Don’t take a job just because it pays well or because it was easy to land. Starting today, take steps toward your true end goal, even if they are baby steps.
- You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. Who are those five people for you? Are they contributing to moving you forward? Choose your close circle wisely, because those people have a huge influence on what you spend your time doing and how you go about living life.